Sunday, October 21, 2007

Seven Days and Counting

Life is full of adventures.

Since I started running marathons in 1995, my whole world has changed. I found out that if you can run 26.2 miles, you can do most anything. I actually started believing that and signing up for some pretty cool things--marathons in different, far-off countries. I met interesting people, learned cool things, climbed mountains, explored the country.

Life has been good.

NOTHING, however, compares to the feeling I get, standing at the Finish Line on marathon day, welcoming runners of all speeds, shapes and sizes as they finish the marathon. They're doing something big! They're laughing, crying, calling their moms on their cell phones. They're getting wrapped in mylar blankets and getting a medal hung around their necks--a medal that will last long after the soreness has worn off.

They've done something that less than one in a thousand will ever accomplish.

For many of you it will be your first marathon. Your life will never be the same. You will have worked through a long term plan, and accomplished a big goal. What you learn from this will last a lifetime.

One week from today. Thanks for sharing the experience with me.

Today the staff will be running the course. We have to earn our medals too. And we're kinda busy next weekend.

(Once again, I've failed to be funny. I'll try to do better tomorrow.)

and the adventure continues....
Don

No comments:

Metro Health Grand Rapids Marathon

www.grandrapidsmarathon.com Don Kern, Race Director - cooladventures@aol.com 616 293 3145